God’s armor brings victory because it is far more than a protective covering. It is the very life of Jesus Christ Himself. “Put on the armor of light,” wrote Paul in his letter to the Romans, “…clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ.” (Romans 13:12-14) . When you do, He becomes your hiding place, and shelter in the storm–just as He was to David. Hidden in Him, you can count on His victory, for He not only covers you as a shield, He also fills you with His life.
This life in Christ begins with learning, affirming, and trusting in each part of the armor. The first part is truth–God’s revelation of all that He is to us, all that He has done for us, and all that He promises to do for us in the days ahead. This enduring truth is written in the Bible, revealed by the Holy Spirit, and realized through Jesus Christ. It cuts through all the world’s distortions, deceptions, and compromises. When you study, memorize, live, and follow truth, it enables you to see the world from God’s high vantage point. Putting on the first piece of the armor means feeding on truth through daily Bible reading and making it part of yourself.
Belt of TRUTH – know the truth about God
Deut. 4:39; Psalm 23:1; 18:1-3
Breastplate of RIGHTEOUSNESS – The Righteousness of Jesus in you
Psalm 100:3; Rom. 3:23-24, 6:23; Gal. 2:20-21; Phil. 3:8-10
Sandals of PEACE – Inner peace and readiness
Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:14; John 14:27, 16:33, 20:21
Shield of FAITH – Living by faith
Rom. 4:18-21; Heb. 11:1; 1 Pet. 1:6-7
Helmet of SALVATION – Salvation through Christ today and forever
Each day : Ps. 16, 23; Heb. 1:3-6
For eternity : 2 Cor. 4:16-18; 1 Thess. 4:17; 1 John 3:1-3
Sword of the spirit GOD’S WORD – God’s Word countering spiritual deception and accusations
Heb. 4:12; Matt. 4:2-11; 1 Pet. 3:15; Ps. 119:110-112
To put on the “full armor”–and enjoy a daily and eternal love-relationship with Jesus Christ, thank Him for what He has shown you in His Word. Know the Scriptures behind your prayer so that your words and faith are grounded in the authority of the Bible. Then pray through each piece. You can use the following prayer as an outline:
* The belt of truth: Thank you, my Lord, for showing me the truth about yourself. Thank you for reminding me that You are the only God, the Creator of heaven and earth, the King of the universe, my Father who loves me, and my Shepherd who leads me. You are my wisdom, my counselor, my hope, and my strength. You are everything I need each day.
* The breastplate of righteousness: Thank you for showing me the truth about myself–that on my own I could never be good enough to live in your presence. Thank you for taking my sins to the cross and offering me your righteous life. Lord, show me any sin that I need to confess right now, so that nothing will hinder me from being filled to overflowing with your Spirit. [Take time for confession] Thank you for forgiving me and for filling me with your righteous life.
* The sandals of peace: Thank you for the peace you give me when I trust and follow you. Show me how to help others find that peace.
* The shield of faith: Thank you for helping me have faith in you. I choose to count on everything you have shown me about yourself–and everything you have promised me in your Word.
* The helmet of salvation: Thank you for promising me salvation both for today’s battles and for all eternity.
* The sword of the spirit, the Word of God: Thank you for the scriptures you have given me to memorize. Please show me which one(s) you want me to use to cut through deceptions and gain your victory in any battle I may face today.