Yesterday May 1st, 2011 was the beatification of John Paul II. Beatification is the last step to sainthood and the slogan of ‘Santo Subito’ (Sainthood Now) which was heard on the day of his burial is going to be realized soon enough. Take a look at the 16 John Paul II beatification pictures given above. Click on any to view it in full size.
John Paul II beatification pictures described:
1. Pilgrims hold candles during a prayer vigil at the ancient Circus Maximus arena on the eve of the ceremony
2. A priest reads a newspaper at dawn as he waits for the beatification ceremony
3. A pilgrim holds a banner of John Paul II
4. Polish pilgrims gather in St Peter’s Square
5. Volunteers hold back the crowds before opening the gates along Via della Conciliazione
6. Sister Marie Simon-Pierre Normand (fourth from left) poses with other nuns and Swiss Guards. Normand’s recovery from Parkinson’s disease has been attributed to be a miracle perfromed by John Paul II
7. Bishops attend the beatification ceremony
8. A nun holds a statue of the Virgin Mary in front of St Peter’s basilica
9. Pope Benedict XVI waves as he arrives to celebrate a mass
10. Priests attend the beatification mass in Saint Peter’s Square
11. Sister Normand (r) and Sister Tobiana hold the glass reliquary containing the blood of the late Pope John Paul II
12. Pilgrims celebrate as the banner signifying John Paul II’s beatification is uncovered
13. Bishops pay their respects near the coffin of the late Pope John Paul II
14. Pope Benedict XVI kisses the relic containing blood of Pope John Paul II
15. Cardinals kiss the casket containing the late Pope John Paul II in St Peter’s Basilica
16. A tapestry of John Paul II is displayed on the facade of St Peter’s Basilica
This has brought a lot of joy to all the Christians around the globe who loved John Paul II a lot. He was truly a great leader chosen by God.
Let us all wait anxiously for the next big day, the day when the pope of the youth, John Paul II will be declared a saint. Amen.